"(We) Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to a healthy pattern of living."
The healthy pattern referred to in this step is not the pattern of past behaviors. We will be restored to a healthy pattern
of living by surrendering to Step 1, we now find ourselves in recovery and our lives are still unhealthy/unmanageable in
Much of that unhealthiness/un-manageability comes from doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting
different results each time. Of course, the results are always the same, unhealthy patterns in our lives/un-manageability..
But what is there to do? Go on the best we can, or begin to change with the Second Step as our guide through
The next question we begin to ask is: What is that power that is greater than ourselves?
An ultimate power greater than ourselves, whatever our concept of a Higher Power is. Then best way to explain this is
that a power greater than ourselves can change from situation to situation. A power greater than ourselves can be the
Program, the Group, a Sponsor, another Person, Pain or something we read, etc. It is anything that makes us aware
of the unhealthy pattern of living we act out.
Now having an understanding of the Second Step, let's look at some of the ways we can apply the Second Step into
Return to Main Index Page
- The first way we applied this step was when we came into the Program and that was what became a Power
greater than ourselves. It helps us get through early problems by being able to share.
- Something someone may share with us can become a Power greater than ourselves if it makes us aware of
something we are doing in the wrong way so we can then change it.
- Pain many times becomes a Power greater than ourselves. Sometimes it is the only thing that will make us do
something in a different way to get healthy results.
- Or some other recovering Trauma survivor can become a Power greater than ourselves, by making us aware of
the way we are doing things.
Step Two Worksheet
You can now see a Power greater than ourselves can change from situation to situation. The important thing is to be
aware of how to apply this principle in your life, so that unhealthy living and un-manageability does not take hold. The
principle of the step can be a Power greater than ourselves.
The following questions, you are to write about on a separate paper and return to your Sponsor/Therapist.
- In the dictionary, look up and write out the definition of the word "believe".
- Write out your own definition of the word "believe".
- What is your definition of "a Power greater than yourself?"
- List 3 Powers greater than yourself in your recovery.
- What are the 3 characteristics that a higher Power should have?
- What does the word "could" mean to you?
- In the dictionary, look up and write out the definition of "could".
- In the dictionary, look up and write out the definition of "restore".
- What are the benefits of "coming to believe in a Power greater than yourself?"
- Name 10 positive things that a Power greater than yourself has done for you.
- Name 5 while using past behaviors.
- Name 5 in recovery.
- What is a Power greater than yourself?
- What type of healthy pattern of living is the second step referring to?
- How can I apply this step into my life?
- What does this step mean to me?
- Write out the benefits of surrendering your life to a Higher Power or Power greater than yourself.
Best viewed by Netscape Browser